I had a task to analyse the value of a cookie set by a tool on the subdomain. The value of the cookie set looked something like this:
My task was to try to decipher the values of set inside the cookie and how they changed depending on the progress through the application that set the values. I was told the answers to questions sat next to the ID of the question. For example, the answer to the “age” question (21-30) was related to the question 18342 and would always appear as |18342|21-30|. I started out with some tests and ended up with a method like this:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Of course, I wanted to avoid the growing if-else statement so found a way that I could do it dynamically and focus just on the mapping from an ID to an attribute. The resulting code looked like this:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
By the end of the analysis, I discovered that multiple IDs mapped to the same properties and all I had to do was add another entry into the map defining which ID mapped to what property on the object.
So far so good, That’s it!!! See ya!!! :)